As I was listening to the story about a man and his successful adventure to the top of Kilimanjaro, I immediately recognized, in all the emotions he described, all the necessary feelings you need to have in order to keep going, push through the hurdles and succeed, whether you’re on a mountain or at the office…
Before you keep reading, think of a specific objective that you have, personally or with your team, and see if the four following ingredients are part of your strategy.
- You know EXACTLY what success looks like
- The person climbing Kilimanjaro dreams of touching the famous sign. What does YOUR sign look like? How will you know that you’re there? Having a visual is very powerful…Make one up…Use your imagination!
- You don’t even think of all the possible hurdles
- When telling his story, the man specified that he didn’t know that every year 6 to 8 people never come back from that trip. Even knowing that this is usually only because these people are ill prepared for the adventure, he admitted that this knowledge could have very well stopped him from attempting this feat. Don’t focus on every thing that could go wrong, just begin, you might discover that some of the steps are easier than anticipated.
- You have a group of people counting on you to succeed
- At several occasions our hero felt like turning around, but the group propelled him, he couldn’t let everybody down, he couldn’t be responsible for the failure of the mission. Who else knows about your goal? Surround yourself with people that believe in your success. If it’s a team goal, make sure that they have the proper support, that you constantly remind them how each individual contributes to the team and how crucial it is to succeed.
- You know exactly what succeeding means for you or your team
- Our traveler brought back a souvenir from the mountain top. He keeps it in on display, to remind himself that he possesses everything needed to face every challenge that life could throw at him. What will happen if you reach your goal? What will be the impact? How will you celebrate your victory?
We all have different summits to reach, making sure that these 4 elements are in place before you start, will multiply your chances to get to the celebration part of your journey.
So which one is missing from your current plan? Do you know of another ingredient that could keep us from quitting? Let me know in the Comment section.