What a genius idea! Not only will the child learn to appreciate the people in his life, but he will also learn that he has the power to make a difference in someone’s life. Let’s translate this great idea in the business world…
My clients often ask how they could improve their soft skills. Here’s an idea: Why not use this time of the year to show that you have other objectives than reaching some number related quotas?
Why not take the opportunity to thank, with an email, a card or a small gift, 3 people that make a difference in your day to day life, because of their dedicated work ? Just the fact that you will stop to think about them, will make you appreciate these people that you often take for granted.
- The Colleague that is always ready to support you in times of crisis
- The Person from another department that contributed to the success of a Special Project
- The Employee that always answers your call with a smile in her voice
- The Person working at your favorite Coffee Shop
- The Cafeteria Lady that works so hard
- Your Provider that agreed to make an exception for you this year when you needed it
- The Cleaning Crew, the Security Guard, the Bus Driver…
If your brave, I challenge you to thank the person that is not your favorite, do it even if you don’t always get along. Who knows, that could be the person that will appreciate your gesture the most!
You could extend this idea by challenging your employees to do the same exercise. Imagine an entire department acknowledging the importance of their colleague’s contribution.
Schedule some time to do this right now…Don’t just think about it!
Give me some feedback in the comments section…How did people react to your act of kindness?